Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Attention: If you want to use me as a reference...

....it may be a good idea that I actually know your full name and remember who you are!

So I get this phone call today from a Human Resource person for Boulder Medical Center. She told me that she is about to offer a job & is now checking his references. I told her I never heard of this guy. She said that we worked together for 5 years. I asked with what company? She said Cendant. I told her that I have worked for my current company for over 5 years and have never heard of this guy. I checked with our human resources department and I was told he is not in the directory for our division.

So now I am baffled, who is this guy and why am I being used as his reference? We have a laugh about it within our cube farm and then it fades away.

Then, this afternoon I get a call.....(it goes something like this)

caller: Hey, long time no talk.
me: Who is this?
caller: this is -insert full name here-, -pause- I guess you don't remember me.
me: You are right, who are you?
caller: We were neighbors about 5 years ago.
me: -pause- -insert first name here-, yes I remember now. You had never told me your last name. When was the last time we saw each other?
caller: probably 4 years ago.
me: So, -insert first name here-, do you think you may want to update your references?
caller: yep, probably a good idea.
me: well... sorry about that, but how do you expect me to give a reference about someone that I have not spoken to in over 4 years and I never knew your last name and I had never worked with you?!
caller: I guess you're right.
me: ok, bye....

WHAT A DUMBASS!!

No comments: