Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Mojito Fever

A cool refreshing drink and perfect for this time of year, especially the way the weather has been (HOT!).

I had my first Mojito a couple of years ago and have only had a few since then. However, earlier this year I made a plan to grow some mint and have them all summer long.

Last night it began....hmmmm...didn't even realize that today is the first day of summer, so it was perfect timing. And it was a perfect drink! I guess you can screw up a Mojito, since I was not impressed with Mynt's, but I thought mine was very tasty.

Here is the recipe taken directly from the Bacardi web site:

1 serving
1.5 oz. BACARDI rum
12 fresh spearmint leaves
½ lime
4 tsp. sugar
Top off with club soda

Muddle mint leaves and lime in tall glass. Add sugar and fill
glass with ice. Add BACARDI rum and club soda; stir well. Garnish glass with
lime wedge and sprigs of mint.
*side note - make sure you stir real well. You need to make sure the sugar, lime juice & mint flavor gets throughout the drink for maximum taste.

To muddle, a muddler would be nice, but you can use anythig that will break up the mint and lime juice. Here is a fancy one I found online at Crate and Barrel. All the other ones I have seen and used are wooden, shaped like miniature baseball bats. Unfortunately the 2 liquor stores I went to had no idea what I was asking for or talking about. I guess they never worked in a bar before. So I will be shopping for one soon.

I hope this new 'addiction' does not turn out like my friend JD's a few summers ago with Mint Juleps. ;)

1 comment:

davegannon said...

yummmmy!
dude you should try the Thin Man's mojito! they are the best in town....this, from about three or four cubans! ha!