Thursday, June 09, 2005

My Summer Vacation... sort of :)

I am back from my trip to Philly and what a trip it was!

We went there to see the races at the Velodrome in T-Town and to watch the Wachovia USPRO Championship race in downtown Philly, oh yeah to visit family too ;)

One of my favorite places to go while back in that area is Rita's. They serve Water Ice, Custard and some other items. I will go there every day and get a water ice when I am in the area. These are the best treat for a hot summer day! Water ice is hard to describe, it is a cross between Italian ice & a snow cone. They use fresh fruit and it is mixed in with very fine ice. The flavor stays within the ice unlike a snow cone where it just goes to the bottom. Rita's only operates on the East coast, so if you are ever near one, check them out.

We had an incredible meal at a restaurant called Marigold Kitchen which is located in West Philadelphia. We are friends with the parents of the owner/chef. I started with the smoked trout wrapped in avocado, had the rabbit for the main course and an extremely yummy dessert (of course I forgot what I had!). This restaurant has been given so many phenomenal reviews and well deserved.

The races at the velodrome were rained out so we went to see Cinderella Man instead. I give this movie 5 of 5. As much as Russell Crowe seems to be an idiot in real life, this movie was powerful. More than just a movie about a fighter. It shows that true desire of a man to keep it together and get through the toughest times of life, even after already having it all. Must see!!

Saturday night we stayed at a friend's house in Manayunk to make it easier to get to the race on Sunday. We stayed up (until 1:30a) and had a few margaritas and met some new friends. Got up at 6:15a on Sunday to go pre-ride the race course with Josh so I could get an appreciation of what the pros have to do. This is an organized fun ride for the fans. I was riding his old MTB that was too small and hadn't been cleaned in years. A little different from riding my bike that is fit to me and wearing the right shoes & apparel. So the course up to the famous Manayunk Wall is really easy. Once we get to the wall you get a great view of how it shoots straight up and keeps going. I see a bunch of people getting off their bikes and walking up and I am passing a few here & there. Makes me feel like I am in better shape than I thought. But then again these are not the people I race against! I get up over the first part then it levels out for a small section and then up again. Overall it is not that bad, BUT I would not want to try this at race pace and have to do it 10 times. We head on through the course and take it to Lemon Hill. This is another part of the course that is a good climb and they do this one 13 times. A lot shorter, but still hurts. And then back to the start/finish line. We hang out for a bit at the expo and then ride back to Josh's house.

We all get cleaned up & eat and start watching the coverage on TV. We jump in the car and head over to the Manayunk Wall and go to a friend of Josh's that is right on the course. I find out that most of these houses just open their doors and people come in & out all day. A reporter interviewed a homeowner and asked her how many people that were there she knew, her answer, none. Crazy life during the race on the Wall. A friend of Josh (Alison-who we met the night before) knows that I am really stoked about the race, asks me if I am interested in taking one of her TV Production Crew all access pass. My eyes were wide open and mouth hanging open and she figured my answer was yes. This pass gets you ANYWHERE and gives you clout. So we watched a few laps on the wall and then jumped into the media van to get to the start/finish line. We talk to the crew with ABC and hang out with one of Alison's friends right on the mobile studio set where the announcers are. I must look like a little kid with the biggest smile on my face. After that we start walking around and head over to the feed zone and walk behind all the team tents and chat with some of the team support people and riders that have dropped from the race.

Once the race was getting into the final laps, we head back over to the mobile studio and I hang out with all the photographers. So here I am snapping away with all the professionals with one of the 'best seats in the house'. After Wherry finishes & wins the race the whole slew of us surround him and I am right in the middle of it all while he is giving interviews etc. What a rush to be right there!

So now we need to get back to Manayunk... well, as clever as Alison is, she asks the cops to see if we can get a ride back. The moto cops said, we only have one seaters so go ask the cop with the side-car. And he said, sure I'll give you a ride back, jump in. I get in the side-car and Alison sits on my lap. This is hilarious! Here we are driving back down the race course and people are yelling & screaming & taking pictures of us. I am thinking this has to be illegal somehow: 2 people in a side-car with no helmets. He said if anyone asks, the chief said it was ok. What a treat!

Monday before we went to the airport we went downtown to have lunch. Of course I had to have a cheesesteak sandwich. :)

Here is a link to some of the pictures of the trip. I took 5 rolls of 35mm, and still going through them. I will scan some more and get them posted soon.....
Pictures here.

No comments: