Thursday, May 26, 2005

When was the last time you rode your bike wearing jeans?

I ask that question because I honestly can't remember, but today I did. So many miles in lycra... jeans are so much less constricting and free feeling. Granted I would not want to ride more than a 1/2 hour in them, but it does give you a different feel on the bike.

A couple of years ago I was riding to work 3 - 4 times per week which was 38 miles round trip. Great way to rack up some mileage, start the day 'awake' and clear my mind on the way home. But, trying to do that the next year was a little tougher. The drawbacks of commuting to work on a bike for me are: bringing my clothes I will wear at work with me (fortunately I can wear shorts etc.) and bringing my lunch. So it can get to be a little bit of a nuisance having to carry that stuff every day. Fortunately I was able to leave my showering supplies in a locker at work.

Overall it was not that big of a deal, but seemed like work. So I stopped commuting on my bike. Plus my workouts were so specific it was hard to do a workout and commute.

Over the last several weeks I have really missed getting on my bike in the morning and riding to work, however I did not want to worry about taking a shower at work in the morning, so I started looking at the bus schedules to see about riding to the bus, taking the bus to the DTC and then riding it to work from there. I live fairly close to a park n ride and work near one as well, so I looked at all the bus routes that went between the 2. I did find 2 busses, one would take me 1hr 10mins plus riding time, which is absurd. The other one is more of an express that comes from the Conifer area so it is the bigger more comfortable busses and they now have bike racks on the front. That route would take 40 minutes to ride.

This morning I headed to the bus stop (arrived in 10mins) put my bike on the bike rack (first time for me and it was super easy), paid my $2.75 and sat back to enjoy the ride. This bus is way nicer than any other RTD bus I have been on, but then again it is more like a lower end coach. Tried to read a little, but the jostling around does wonders for my equilibrium. 40 minutes later I arrive at the DTC, take my bike off the rack and proceed to work. Arrived at work in 10mins. Total commute: 60mins, Cost: $2.75 and 200 calories (joking).

My plan is to do what I did this morning: ride, bus, ride and then just ride home. That way I can get into work easier and also get a nice ride home that takes about an hour.

So I did some quick figuring and I can drive to work in 30mins and home in about 40mins. So I save no time. My car gets about 18mpg so it takes 2 gallons a day to commute. Based on current gas prices it comes to $4.50 per day to drive. Bus fare is $2.75 so I save $1.75 per day. At first I was looking at this and thinking, ok so I save some money, but is it really that much? As I was riding from the bus stop to the office, I realized as in most things, if it is good for you or the environment it costs more. Of course then I also thought that I am taking one car off the road for 38 miles a day. Granted, 1 car off the road for 38miles does not reduce a measureable amount of congestion or pollution, but it does help somewhat.

So we will see where this goes, but I have to tell you, getting off my bike coming into the office feels good (again). In some ways, I am gloating inside saying that, yes I am doing my part taking alternative transportation to work. Of course I can also tie this all back into a mitzvah of Judaism, tikkun olam (repairing the world).

In case you are wondering....I do have my lycra to wear home. For some reason 19miles wearing jeans on a bike in the afternoon heat just does not appeal to me.... ;)

No comments: